Stripe provides a smart retry billing mechanism that attempts to capture the payment when it fails. While the payment is in the retry interval window the subscription still remains active until all the retry attempts are exhausted. That means that the user will still have access to the premium chatrooms during the retry period.
It is advised to set up your Stripe with the following settings.
- Retry schedule: Use Smart Retries
- Retry up to 4 times within: 1 week
- Customer emails: Send emails when card payments fail [Enabled]
- Subscription status: If all retries for a payment fail -> cancel the subscription
- Invoice status: If all retries for a payment fail -> leave the invoice as-is
⚠️ Pay attention to the Subscription status setting as this will disable user access when all billing retries fail.
Please find the settings page in the following URL: https://dashboard.stripe.com/settings/billing/automatic